There will be a huge amount at stake when arch-rivals Kovsies and NWU clash on Monday in Bloemfontein in the last match of the group stage. You don’t want to miss this one. The fireworks start at 19:00 and is broadcast live on SuperSport 10.
Total played: 9 games
NWU won: 5
Kovsies won: 3
Average score: NWU 49-44 Kovsies
- It’s been three years since Kovsies last tasted a victory over NWU. That was on 6 September 2015 in Bloemfontein.
- The 45-all draw in 2014 is to this day still the only match in Varsity Netball to end in a tie.
- Apart from 2016 the two opponents have met each other every year in a knock-out match.
- It will only be the third meeting between the teams in Stellenbosch. On the previous two occasions Maties came within four and three goals of winning the match.
Previous results, venues and FNB Player of the Matches:
2013: NWU 60-47 Kovsies @ Pretoria – Zandré Erasmus (NWU)
2013: Kovsies 44-40 NWU @ Potchefstroom – Karla Pretorius (Kovsies) – final
2014: NWU 45-45 Kovsies @ Potchefstroom – Lentsa Motau (NWU)
2014: Kovsies 51-45 NWU @ Bloemfontein – Danelle Willemse (Kovsies) – semi-final
2015: Kovsies 47-38 NWU @ Bloemfontein – Tanya Mostert (Kovsies)
2015: NWU 56-48 Kovsies @ Bloemfontein – Renske Stoltz (NWU) – semi-final
2016: NWU 58-36 Kovsies @ Johannesburg – Romé Dreyer (NWU)
2017: NWU 48-44 Kovsies @ Bloemfontein – Zandré Erasmus (NWU)
2017: NWU 53-37 Kovsies @ Bloemfontein – Zandré Erasmus (NWU) – semi-final
- A win for Kovsies will ensure them the first place on the log and a home semi-final. They’ve only once before ended first on the log – in 2015.
- A victory for NWU will earn them a place in the top-4. If they lose, but still manage to get a bonus-point or two and Madibaz lose to the Maties without a bonus-point, they will still qualify. NWU has not lost out on a semi-final spot before.
- NWU will be weakened by the absence of Romé Dreyer (centre), Monique Reyneke (goal defence) and Sigi Burger (goal shooter) who were in Australia for the Quad Series. The Kovsies are also without their two Proteas Khanyisa Chawane (centre) and Meagan Roux (wing attack / goal attack).
The teams for the fixture:
Kovsies: Alicia Puren (GS, captain), Tanya Mostert (GD/WD), Khomotso Mamburu (GD/WD), Lefébre Rademan (GA/WA), Sikholiwe Mdletshe (WD/C), Ané Retief (GK), Bianca de Wee (WA/WD), Maryke Coetzee (GK/GD), Rieze Straeuli (GA/WA), Gertriana Retief (GS), Jabulile Mabina (WD), Jana Scholtz (WD/GD). Coach: Burta de Kock. Assistant coach: Karin Venter.
NWU: Claudia van den Berg (GS), Jessica du Plessis (GA/WA, captain), Anja Esterhuizen (GS), Louise Louw (GA/WA), Jomari Myburgh (WA/C), Keabetswe Mtshali (WA/WD), Didi Keebine (WD/GK), Leonie Maree (GK), Caitlinn Rousseau (WD/GS), Nicolene van Heerden (GD), Luyanda Khumalo (WD), Nicole Amiras (C). Coach: Elsunet du Plessis.